Friday, February 28, 2014

A little universal perspective

Every once in a while I like to post amazing scientific facts that I uncover. I always hear how Proxima Centauri is the nearest star to our sun, but I've never heard the actual distance, so I looked it up on Google.

It's 23,462,784,000,000 miles (4.3 light years) from our sun.

Let's put that into perspective, shall we? Earth is 93 million miles from the sun. If we made 1 inch = 93 million miles, then Proxima Centauri would be 252,288 inches away, or 21,024 feet, or just about 4 miles, which is very interesting because when you use this scale a mile almost equals a light year.

And that's the nearest star, which is a red dwarf. Imagine how far away exoplanets outside our solar system are from us, ones we can't even see with our monster telescopes here on Earth.

We won't be visiting other systems any time soon, that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment