Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Debating a theist

I know I have been away from my blog lately, but it's for good reason. Out of the blue, a family member essentially challenged me to a debate. Apparently she (a Catholic) has been engaging in debate with Protestants in one of their online groups and wanted to practice with me. I welcomed the challenge and surprised myself with my defenses and ability to identify her use of specific fallacies and calling her out on it.

What I've noticed is she likes to ignore points that I back up with stats and evidence and then harp on the one or two things she thinks are valid refutations. She also likes to assume way too much and accuse me of certain things when they are completely unfounded. She likes to "move the goal posts" and "special plead." She just refuses to concede a point and refuses to accept the Catholic Church is wrong, especially as it pertains to child abuse.

I'm in the midst of back-and-forth correspondence via email and I'm not sure how long this will last or where it will go, but I plan on posting the exchanges on here in modified form (since it can be very long and convoluted).

But for now I'll be engaged in these debates for the foreseeable future and may not post on here as often.

No comments:

Post a Comment