Wednesday, December 11, 2013

John 3:16 ... I call bullshit!


For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. -- John 3:16


I can't be the only one who calls bullshit on this, right? Where do I begin?

Let's see, I assume this is alluding to the fact that he was sacrificed on the cross, so "gave" means he had a son, and allowed him to die for our "sins." If Jesus existed, and obviously I have my doubts, how much of a sacrifice is this? He was tortured and killed. 

First, people die every day, so death is only tough on those who survive him. The torture likely hurt, but this was god, how much pain did he feel? Plus, he arose three days later. Some sacrifice. God didn't give his one and only son because he didn't die, he came back. Where's the sacrifice? And presumably Jesus, who is god, if you can follow that sick path, knew he would be returning to heaven and eternal glory, so again, where is the sacrifice?

I just can't buy it, plus who asked for this sacrifice anyway? And we didn't do anything wrong. The fact that there's this ancestral sin is one of the most appalling ludicrous ideas ever propagated. Even if Adam and Eve screwed up paradise, how could we be held accountable? But it's not even worth discussing because science proves there was no Adam and Eve, hence no Original Sin, hence no reason to have Jesus sacrificed. 

And the last part of the verse, that if you believe in Jesus you won't perish and you'll have eternal life, really has me perplexed. So, what that means is we can ignore the commandments because as long as we believe in Jesus we're saved, yes? That's how I read it. 

"Did you just kill that guy?"
"Yeah, so?"
"Aren't you afraid of going to hell?"
"Nah, I believe in Jesus."

Let me guess, there are technicalities by which we must abide. "Sure, we said you'd have eternal life, but we didn't really mean it, you'll have to do more than that."

The bible is filled with crap like this, where things contradict each other or are just incongruent with a skewed philosophy. When I consider the bible is supposed to be the word of a supreme all-knowing omniscient being, I can't help but laugh. 

The verse should read, "For God so didn't give a rat's ass about his minions that he wrote this confusing tome to create thousands of schisms and religions."

No comments:

Post a Comment