Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Ding-dong! Ya gotta believe in somethin'

A missionary just rang my doorbell. It was the first time one of these god-selling recruiters had visited my house since I publicly admitted I was an atheist. I used to be rude to these people when they would come to my door, and I had been secretly awaiting for this opportunity. I used to tell them my neighborhood was deed-restricted and there is no solicitation, just so they would say, "We're not selling anything," and I would say, "You're selling god," and then I would slam the door. That was in my non-religious-still-clinging-to-there-being-a-deity days.

After I became an atheist, I really couldn't wait for this next chance to chat, but when it came right down to it I just opened the door, said hi and before he could say anything I said, "I'm an atheist." He quite literally sank within his own skin. I could see the disappointment in his facial expression, and then he kinda shrugged and said, "Well, ya gotta believe in somethin'."

I bit my tongue, and just said, "Take care," and closed the door gently. I really wanted to say, "I believe there is no god," or "I believe you're a brainwashed, indoctrinated victim" and I wanted to hear what he had to say so I could thrash his worldview. But in the end I didn't want to be a jerk and have him walk away and think, "Typical militant atheist." I don't want to perpetuate stereotypes, so I just let it go. The high road is cool, especially when I know there's no eternal reward awaiting me for taking it.

No comments:

Post a Comment